Monday, August 26, 2013

Introduction



Image Source: Dominican University
About Me
My government name is Daniel Ramirez but just call me Danny. I am currently a senior at Dominican University majoring in History and pursuing an Elementary Education certification. I expect to graduate next May 2014 and subsequently student teach in the fall of 2014.
There have been many pivotal events in my life that have intricately interwoven and led me to this present situation of being two semesters from graduation, and if I were to elaborate these events in such profound detail what would be the incentive for you to buy my memoir when I finally decide to write one? Instead I think it is more intriguing if I provide a vague yet interesting overview of these pivotal events on this blog.



The most important event in my life
The most important event in my life occurred during my senior year in high school. My English teacher, Mr. Rosi, was passing out college pamphlets and informational cards in order for each student to request informational packets from various universities. When the pamphlets reached me I took one informational card and within two minutes I had mine all filled out. Soon Mr. Rosi began walking around to assist us filling out the cards and when he approached my desk and asked me if I needed assistance I responded by telling him that I had completed my card already. He looked at the card in front of me which only had one school written on it: Triton Community College. I don’t know whether it was my lack of ambition or some pessimistic prophetic envision of me not achieving my optimized pinnacles that flashed through Mr. Rosi’s mind but at that very moment he looked directly in my eyes and asked me if I honestly did not think I was worthy of an university education. I bluntly told him that a university level education was not even an option due to my parents’ financial means and that I do not know anyone within my extended family or friends that has ever attended or graduated from a university. Our conversation lasted ten minutes although it seemed like an eternity since I really wasn’t interested in his opinion. Mr. Rosi elaborated in extensive detail about financial aid, student loans, private loans, and scholarships. At that moment my conclusion was that he was expecting too much from me and that he ultimately set himself up for a devastating conclusion because he never expressed his aspirations for me prior to this one-on-one talk.





Epiphany
Subsequently, I enrolled at Triton Community College and for the first year I did poorly and my grades reflected it. However it’s perplexing on how the mind operates because for some odd reason during my last year at Triton I had the most important epiphany that I have had in my life. I realized that Mr. Rosi wasn’t attempting to lecture me but that he genuinely cared about me and my future. I realized that Mr. Rosi saw something within me that I was unable to perceive at the time, and that he was able to envision the greatness that I could obtain if persuaded on a certain path. I graduated with my Associates in Arts from Triton and decided that I also want to be that beacon of hope that Mr. Rosi became for me. The results of that emotional realization lead me to pursue a teaching certificate in order to be a “Mr. Rosi” for others. The proximity to home as well as its prestigious reputation helped me to choose Dominican University as the place that will help me fulfill my dream. Ultimately this remarkable journey has helped me arrive at this point in my career.




Views on Technology in the Classroom
I firmly believe that in order for our students to compete in the job market as well as compete as a nation internationally our students have to be competent in technology since technology is the wave of the future. I also can attest that technology facilities effective teaching which subsequently enables effective learning. Therefore, I am pro technology in the classroom and support any form of technology in the classroom. I am personally more engaged as a student when technology is integrated.   


More about me
·         Favorite Book: The Autobiography of Malcolm X
·         Favorite Movie: Paid in Full
·         Favorite Subject: History
·         I like books based on historical events or influential historical figures so if you have any great recommendations let me know in the comments section below.

1 comment:

  1. Danny thanks for explaining how you arrived in education. What a great story! For the memoir you should add a chapter about how you contacted Mr. Rosi years later and shared this blog (or at least your story) with him. Far too often we impact our students and don't know it- especially at the time. I've be incredibly fortunate to have some former students reach out via Twitter and Facebook to give me a shout out. It helps keep us going sometimes.

    ReplyDelete